Sunday, April 22, 2012

Time to get scientific..sort of

As I sit here writing this post, glass of Monk's Blood by my side, I wonder how scientific can I get?
I was sitting at work yesterday and thinking "How do I get my bottles to carbonate properly?" The obvious solution is to go out and buy myself a digital temp controller and a ferm wrap (which I'm actually pretty close to doing) Until I get the funds for that I need something more affordable. My answer? An old cooler. a gallon jug of hot water and a oven thermometer with a probe. I took a case of my newly bottles stout and threw it in my cooler with a jug of hot water. As long as I can keep a relative eye on the temp and switch the water out as need be I can't see how this idea won't work. Seeing as how I have no real data on at what temperature my wheat conditioned out, this should give me great insight into what works,  or doesn't work for me.



I plan on the first day or two being devoted to getting the kinks out of the system, finding the right location for the probe, and the best amount of water to make it all work, but here goes nothing. I am also leaving a case down in my basement to condition, with no real idea of ambient temperature down there. All I do know is it was 80 degrees outside two days ago and today its 45, WTF New England?

No comments:

Post a Comment